Skip to content

Beat Maker – call for testers

Hello all!

I promised this new release for the end of the last year, but I delayed it a bit due some changes in my professional and personal life.

Anyway, basically this release is about bug fixing and performance improvement. It’s using less power now, and playing faster.

If you want to try this version, you can get the package here.

And bugs reports are always welcome, and needed ;)

ps.: I’m still trying to upload it to OVI, lets see…

24 Comments

1. Michael Banck

Does it honor the volume buttons? I tried to tone it down while playing with it in the office, but it seemed to always play the samples at the same volume.

Anyway, I first thought the above was the actual program and you could tab the drums with your finger and “play” it like that. Was a bit let down this is a sequencer ;) As the N900 is not multi-touch it wouldn’t be much fun anyway I guess…

Posted on 18-Jan-11 at 7:24 am | Permalink
  2. Marshall Brown

Any particular reason this package isn’t optified? You’ve got almost 1 MB in the root filesystem.

Posted on 18-Jan-11 at 1:01 pm | Permalink
  3. @Michael: This problem with the volume happens only in a few devices. I don’t actually have a device to test it, I’m testing on friends devices =/ I’m not sure if it’s going to be fixed soon.

@Marshall: My bad, I’m going to fix it now =)

Posted on 18-Jan-11 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
  4. Nithin

I installed it and rebooted. I dont hear any sound though. I checked the system volume and its at 100%. Any solution to fix this?

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 4:52 am | Permalink
  5. Nithin

And i am running PR1.3

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 4:53 am | Permalink
  6. @Nithin: Could you please execute beatmaker from command line and check if there’s any error/warning message?

I would say that pulseaudio is complaining about something…

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 5:33 am | Permalink
  7. Nithin

Sorry i a noob with xterminal. Could you please tell the command to run beatmaker from xterminal. I have root enabled.

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 6:40 am | Permalink
  8. dbrodie

Great app. How about adding an ability for a 3x beat (probably 6x would be better) for things like waltz. Also, would be nice to be able to control the bpm without going to the menu.

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 7:46 am | Permalink
  9. Mohic

Why volume is alway full 100% ?

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 9:08 am | Permalink
  10. @Nithin: just execute beatmaker (or beat-maker), I don’t remember correctly =)

@dbrodie: We were thinking about that thing of the x3 or x6… Quite hard to implement, But also, should be solved with a higher BPM and a pannable drum area, do you agree?
    Also, do you have any suggestion about how change the BPM without going to the menu? (because of the GL stuff, our mixer gets slower during that).

@Mohic: Probably the same issue with pulseaudio. Works fine for some devices, but not always. I’m trying to get a device to test this better…

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 9:16 am | Permalink
  11. Jack

I’m having the same problem => no audio. When I start the app from xterm, I get:

Unsupported date format character at 1 (%-d, %-m,)

But no errors regarding pulseaudio…

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 9:30 am | Permalink
  12. Nithin

This is what i ran :

/home/user # beatmaker

This was the response :

Maemo application must be run with run-standalone.sh script!
    QGtkstyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
    Home director /home/user not ours.

Then the app started.

f you think i need to install something missing, please let me know. Thanks.

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 9:34 am | Permalink
  13. I’m on PR 1.3
    - Volume is fixed (indeed) should be adjustable)
    - the beat is not very constant while at higher BPM and when opening the menu ect.
    - Maybe an idea if you open the program it starts with the latest made beat and bpm setting and add a ‘clear’ button to start from scratch. this way you can quickly sketch some beat idea and open it up later

Posted on 19-Jan-11 at 11:32 am | Permalink
  14. Nithin

I uninstalled and re-installed again. Still no luck. Still no audio what so ever. Anything i could be doing wrong?

Posted on 20-Jan-11 at 3:45 pm | Permalink
  15. As I found this package on the download section of maemo.org, with a request for testers, I guess I should be straight here. If this is version one, you really need to add some functionality. Pattern length, note length, etc.

Also, judging by the sound of the quality, I´d say you have used 8 bit samples, which isn´t really enough. The crash sounds artificial and lacks high frequency, the bass kick lacks low range and so on.

Big plus on the interface, though, but I prefer functionality over looks.

Conclusion: keep up the good work but add, add and keep adding before bringing out version 1.x.

Posted on 21-Jan-11 at 5:42 am | Permalink
  16. And of course, I forgot to mention the complete absence of measures. No option to play a 7/8th note, or even a regular 6/8th means you limit your audience to pop musicians.

Posted on 21-Jan-11 at 6:08 am | Permalink
  17. If bugs reports are always welcome: I don’t see any link to a bugtracker mentioned here.

Posted on 22-Jan-11 at 9:54 am | Permalink
  18. Sorry guys, I was in vacations. Quite away from the computer =)

For those who’re having problems with the volume. Some nice guys sent me a device so I will be able to fix this problem as soon I get it.

@anthonie: The idea of the application is to be simple.
    I was discussing with Allison how to improve the application without making the interface too complicated. He’s thinking about that. Also, the sound is 16bits, but mono. I will try to upgrade it to 32/sterio and see if there’s any kind of lack of performance.

About the timing with the menu opened. Blames 3D / clutter / whatever. I can’t think in a solution for that.

@andre: you’re totally right. I was expecting to have just two or three replies here in the comments, but I should have a bugzilla, However gitorious doesn’t provide one. What do you suggest? Open a new project at garage?

The package is also not following ovi stores rules. I need to fix that too before submit it again. All of those things will be easier now =)

Posted on 24-Jan-11 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
  19. Ah, thanks for the reports ;)

Posted on 24-Jan-11 at 8:28 pm | Permalink
  20. Danilo

Congrats for the new release and keep up with the good work!
    :-)

The UI is really cool and the app is original.

Adenilson
    ps: As vezes o pessoal pega no pe, nao manda patches e reclama. Mas a gratificacao de fazer um pet project vale a pena!

Posted on 25-Jan-11 at 11:53 pm | Permalink
  21. Rolf

Hi Danilo,
    I have installed it, but I am not able to get it to work. It starts but the loop does not run. In your video I see the running light on top but on my device it does not work. I tried to STOP/PLAY from the menu multiple times but nothing happens. When I start the application from the command line, I see no messages at all.

Any ideas?

Posted on 28-Jan-11 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
  22. evandrofisico

Just so you know, installed on an n900 running pr 1.3 and running perfectly! Thanks a lot!

Posted on 07-Mar-11 at 5:33 pm | Permalink
  23. teroyk

I am ready to pay something if I can set volume levels for each note and save sequenses to MIDI-file.

Posted on 09-May-12 at 1:36 pm | Permalink
  24. Hehe, sorry dude.

I don’t know anything about MIDI files, and also I don’t have the test device anymore.

Posted on 12-Sep-12 at 11:24 am | Permalink